Click on the picture of Tina as she chants Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and recites a portion of the "Lotus Sutra" called Gongyo. We introduce this to give you an introduction of the practices of Nichiren Buddhism. We at the Proud Black Buddhist World Association teach the prayers in English.
Tina received what is called a Gohonzon or an Object of Worship scroll from Nichiren Shoshu via an organization called Nichiren Shoshu of America. The Priesthood Nichiren Shoshu sect and its lay organization NSA spit with the Lay organization President Daisaku Ikeda forming a new religious sect called the SGI. 90% of the Buddhist followed Daisaku Ikeda and the remaining 10% Buddhist members practicing directly under the Nichiren Shoshu Priest in an organization called NST or Nichiren Shoshu Temple. We at this website were members of the NST Temple. We left Nichiren Shoshu in January of 2014 because Nichiren Shoshu refused to reform. We organized a Budhist organization called the "Proud Black Buddhist World Association." We teach a Buddhism that is inclusive of Black history and culture. Learn more at www.proudblackbuddhist.org
Click on the picture to see the movie scene
Anthony "Amp" Elmore & friend Cliff Dates pose for a picture with Tina Turner during a concert in Memphis in November 1984. Tina signed a picture to give to Buddhist members in Memphis, Tennessee.
Read the book I Tina and learn how she became a Buddhist in 1974. See how Buddhism help to change her life. We posted this picture to help others to follow the path of Tina Turner and learn Buddhism. We at the Proud Black Buddhist Website promote Buddhism in a cultural paradigm.
Please click on the above picture of Tina Turner and listen to her December 2011 interview. Tina talks about her spirituality and she gives a simple explanation about Buddhism. In 2013 73 year old Tina married her long time partner. Tina is a great model as a Buddhist, we hope that she can inspire you to take up the Nichiren Buddhist Faith.
Please Click on the above picture to see and hear Five Time World Karate/Kickboxing Champion Anthony "Amp" Elmore of Memphis, Tennessee Buddhist Lecture titled "Tina Turner & Buddhism. Elmore and Tina Turner begin their Buddhist practice in 1974 via an American organization called NSA or Nichiren Shoshu of America. Nichiren Shoshu of America was associated with the parent organization in Japan called the "Soka Gakkai." Both Tina and Elmore were once dedicated NSA and "Soka Gakkai" Buddhist members.
Elmore departed NSA in 1990. In 1990 Nichiren Shoshu the formal religious body of Priests and the SGI entered an over two decade battle for supremacy that continues today. Elmore later sided with the Nichiren Shoshu Priests. Tina Turner purposefully remained netural until she revealed that she had moved "Beyond" both the SGI and Nichiren Shoshu religious organizations. Elmore departed Nichiren Shoshu and he organized the "Proud Black Buddhist World Association. Elmore gives a Buddhist lecture that is inclusive of culture, science, history and equality.